This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GameNightIn #CollectiveBias
I vaguely remember games of Candy Land on the living room floor and Hasbro® Jenga with cousins while camping at the beach. Family time playing games has been happening for a long time in our house. Holidays are full of friendly competitions, lots of laughs and yummy food. All of the women in my family love to cook and bake so there is never a lack of delicious treats.
I wanted to bottle up all those memories and fun and bring it home to my house. Since becoming parents our date nights have turned into more of family nights. What better way to spend time together with each other than to have a Family Game Night? For our first Family Game Night we decided to go with Hasbro Jenga, one of my favorites and Classic Monopoly (I’m always the Scottie dog).
To make sure that our night was a complete success we needed snacks, lots of tasty snacks. M&M® Cookie Bars seemed like just the right snack to make. These bars are delicious, chewy, super chocolaty and easy to make. The original recipe is from Fantastic Family Favorites.
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 TBSPs butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups M&M's, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil, allow the foil to hang over the side. This will make it easy to remove bars.
- Mix together the butter and sugars.
- Stir in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Fold the flour salt, and baking soda into the wet mixture until just combined.
- Stir in 1 cup of M&M's and turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remaining M&M's on top and press in slightly.
- Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 25- 30 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into bars.
- Use a sharp knife when cutting bars for a clean edge.
I used Wal-Mart as my one-stop shop for game night and used this awesome coupon for $1 off my M&Ms®. They had both of the classic games I was looking for and they were easy to find on the game aisle.