When your kids are small, doctor’s appointments are hard on parents but super important for healthy babies. Vaccines are important but shots are no fun for baby. The doctors office can be a scary place for kids, there are lots of unknowns. There are however several ways you can prepare your kids for the doctors office.
- Read books about visiting the doctor and what the kids can expect to happen while they are there. Jake’s Kindergarten Check-Up is a great book that kids will understand and learn from.
- Pretend play, purchase a child’s doctor dress up kit and allow the child to be the doctor. Let them listen to your heart, take your temperature and maybe even give you a shot!
- Stuffed animals are great for teaching kids about the doctor and also for providing comfort. We have a Dr. Bear that we made at Build A Bear Workshop, Don’t have a Build a Bear, there are lots of other fun options available.
- Take you child for a doctor visit before they are sick. Let them become familiar with the office, their doctor and how an exam takes place.
- Stickers are a favorite treat to get after a doctor visit and many front desk receptionist and nurse have a secret stash. Ask for a stick to celebrate the trip.