Making Yoga for Kids Easy and Fun
I thought it would be fun to update is post with a few great ideas/changes that I’ve seen in our routine in the past few years as John has grown and we’ve welcomed Mary into our family. We still practice all of these great points but have added a few more that help make yoga for kids easy AND fun!
Exercise is a big part of our daily routine. We love to go walking or jogging with friends in the morning and in the evenings when daddy gets home from work. We usually head outside with our bikes or go bouldering as soon as dinner is over. John loves riding his bike and climbing for sure. Before bed each night we stretch out before story time. Sometimes we use the foam roller or just each chose a favorite yoga pose. WE love to use fun games to help us with our yoga practice and I think you will love them too!
April 8th is the 1st Annual Kids’ Yoga Day. School children around the world will be dedicating 5 minutes of their morning to practicing yoga poses and learning about how yoga is beneficial to them. I’m currently reading through The ABC’s of Yoga for Kids and learning all about why this is a great practice for John to do with us, as well as how to make it fun for him!
Here are a few tips to make Yoga for Kids easy and fun for the whole family.
- Designate a special time each day to spend stretching and practicing your poses. Routine is great for kids and it gives them something to look forward to.
- Purchase their own yoga mat. No, you don’t need a special mat to practice these moves, but kids will take ownership in the equipment and it will be special to them and their routine.
- Let them chose the music! I love to have a favorite jam playing when we stretch. Involve them by having them chose their favorite music to practice to.
- Use a fun interactive game to choose your post and have the kids engaging! We love Yoga Dice and the
- Have fun and be silly! Have the kids pick out their favorite poses and when you are done, let them jump around and get the wiggles out.
What is your families favorite way to exercise together?